Did you know what Kraft, Time Warner, and Vodafone have in common? They are all high-profile international businesses that have been involved in mergers and acquisitions. While the merger between Vodafone India and Idea Cellular was highly successful, Time Warner witnessed a significant drop in valuation following its merger with AOL.
With the huge complexity and impact of M&A deals, the importance of working with an experienced business lawyer cannot be overemphasized. M&A attorneys provide advice regarding the negotiation, drafting, and performance of the deal as well as with appropriate financing. They also play a key role in understanding the client’s business and devising effective M&A risk avoidance strategies.
Discussed here are some ways attorneys can channelize successful M&A transactions.
- Advisory: Understanding how commercial agreements work in the USA can be a crucial element of successful M&A transactions. An experienced business lawyer can provide strategic advice and legal guidance concerning the deal – extending support in drafting and negotiating the agreement to the client’s best interests. They will evaluate each company entering into mergers and acquisitions to ensure they have a solid financial standing and reputation to support the transaction.
An attorney can also provide in-depth advice on regulatory requirements that both the parties need to fulfil when entering into an M&A agreement. They will advise on different thresholds as well as the disclosures and approvals set by regulators. This is important because paying for the cost of regulatory approvals may dramatically affect the transaction’s commercial viability. Additionally, not meeting the regulatory requirements may cause the deal to be considered voidable or void.
An experienced business law attorney will weigh the legal implications of the M&A structure and identify potential opportunities & risks. By utilizing their knowledge of business law, they help the clients develop a legal strategy that aligns with their business goals.
- Performing due diligence: Due diligence is an essential elements of any merger and acquisition transaction. Keeping this in mind, attorneys perform in-depth audit of the company the client is seeking to enter into an M&A deal. They will assess all contracts, legal documents, intellectual property rights, financial statements, and other vital data to determine the company’s potential liabilities and legal standing. This enables the clients to understand the risks or opportunities involved in mergers and acquisitions and make strategic decisions.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements: M&A lawyers also play a vital role in negotiating and drafting legal agreements concerning the transaction. These include letter of intent, purchase agreements, confidentiality agreements, shareholder agreements, etc. An experienced lawyer will craft these documents meticulously to ensure their client’s best interests. At the same time, they will set clear and specific terms & conditions to mitigate the risks of commercial litigation.
- Managing legal complexities: Risks are inherent in any M&A transaction. Often, these include legal challenges and disputes. A professional lawyer can help identify and mitigate these risks. They will evaluate potential liabilities, devise effective risk management strategies, and structure the transaction to minimize exposure to legal hassles. In case of disputes or litigation, they will represent the client to their best interest, negotiate on their behalf, and also provide litigation support.
- Regulatory compliance: Mergers and acquisitions require adhering to different types of regulatory and legal frameworks. The attorneys have comprehensive knowledge of laws that govern M&A transactions. These may include tax laws, securities laws, antitrust regulations, etc., thereby, ensuring regulatory compliance. They will help the clients navigate the complex regulatory landscape, get required permits and approvals, and resolve compliance issues that may arise.
- Support: Experienced attorneys play a crucial support role in M&A deals, working closely with different teams such as accountants, investment bankers, consultants, and tax advisors. They collaborate and coordinate with these teams to ensure a smooth transaction. The attorneys also build liaison with government authorities, regulators, and stakeholders to facilitate clearances and approvals.
Business lawyers are key players in the complex world of mergers and acquisitions. They have in-depth expertise in business law and the ability to help clients navigate the regulatory landscape. With their constant legal guidance and support, they ensure all transactions are smoothly performed and as per the law.
Onal Gallant Bayram&Amin PC is a law office specializing in Real Estate Law, Intellectual Property, Corporate and Business Law, Immigration Law, and the US Visa Processes. We deliver reliable advice on a large variety of subjects ranging from forming a corporation and buying a house in the US to trademark registration and Green Card applications (e.g., EB3 Visa or DV Lottery). With exceptional knowledge and insight into immigration law, our experienced lawyers at Onal Gallant Bayram&Amin are ready to help and respond to all of your inquiries.
www.ogplawfirm.com, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Quora, LinkedIn and Medium accounts, Youtube Channel, and our blogs in Turkish and English can be followed to get updated information and news about these topics.